| Home | Contact Us | Help |
 

Geography
History
Culture
Climate
Flora & Fauna
Tourism
Maps
Web cam live 24 hours!
Latest News
Canarian Culture
Restaurants
The Guanches
Daily Weather
Estate Agents
Customs
Health care centres
Consulate
Airport Regulations
Sanitary Regulations
Contact Us
Help
Gallery

Ads By CiberSpaces

livechat software for business



 
History.

The aborigines named this precious and fertile land Arautapala or Araotava, which was part of the guanche menceyato of Taoro. As tradition has it, Bencomo, its famous chief, lived in two adjoining caves in the Pine Canyon (Barranco del Pino).

The Adelantado Fernando de Lugo proceeded to hand out land properties once the conquest was over, saving a good area for himself.

Soon it had a mayor that depended upon La Laguna, in this way this villa was founded, growing around the Chapel of Thanksgiving (Acción de Gracias), that later on extended southwards, to the Villa de Arriba or neighbourhood of Farrobo. Among the buildings constructed were the temple of La Concepción, the convents of San Lorenzo, San Benito and San José as well as many civilian buildings.

In 1648 Felipe IV names it Villa Exenta, independent of La Laguna, with its own mayor. And in 1681 the church of San Juan del Farrobo is converted into a parochial church, segregating itself from La Concepción.

In the beginnings of this century, Alfonso XIII concedes, together with the approval of his shield, the title of Very Noble and Loyal Villa of La Orotava. (Muy Noble y Leal Villa de La Orotava).

Places of Historical Interest

Guildhall

Neoclassic style from the XIX century

Benítez de Lugo House

From the XVII century

Molina House

Dating from the year of 1590

Monteverde House

From the XVII century

Sculptor Fernando Estévez Birth House

From the XVIII century

Torre Hermosa House

From the XVII century

Orotava Casino

From the XVIII century

Temple of El Calvario

Neogothic style, dating back to the year of 1914. With images of La Piedad, San Isidro and Santa María de la Cabeza, as well as works of Fernando Estévez

Holy Trinity Hospital and Church of San Francisco

XIX and XX century

Church of San Agustín and Exconvent of Los Agustinos

XVII Century with a baroque classicist altarpiece.

Church of San Juan de Farrobo

XVIII Century. Moresque Art In its altarpiece appears a Christ of El Calvario dating from the XVII century. Images from Fernando Estévez and Luján Pérez.

Church of Santo Domingo and Exconvent of San Benito de Abad

San Francisco Lavatories

XVII Century. Rehabilitated by the municipality’s School Workshop.

Ads By CiberSpaces

 
Ads By CiberSpaces

| Home | Contact Us | Help |